How to keep a tidy home with 2 small children?

Tuesday 28 April 2015

This is a question I ask myself on a regular basis and Mr H when he is feeling brave!   


                               
                                  This is what happened whilst I tidied the kitchen!
     

I have to say with one child I found it easy, Little Mr wasn't messy and we had half the junk we now seem to have amassed. However I feel with two children it is much harder to keep a tidy home. Therefore I thought it only fair for me to share some of the ways you too can keep a tidy home with young children.


1) Never wash clothes

This one is a buggy as doing this will cut down on the huge workload that follows freshly washed clothes. If I never wash clothes I will never have to dry them so will save time hanging clothes to dry and once again bringing them in. There will also be no folding and no ironing.

2) Never iron clothes

If you follow step one there will be no clothes to iron and you are well on your way to keeping a tidy home.

3) No Birthdays until you turn 18! 

No cards to display which inevitably clutter up a surface and the best part is no presents, so no toys to fill already overflowing storage boxes/selves/baskets or any other small space not currently overrun with stuff.

4) Use disposable plates and crockery

Paper and plastic and once dinner is over throw in the bin! This step also saves on loading and unloading the dishwasher.

5) Never dust

An occasional blow on surfaces where there is a buildup should do the trick or if you are desperate a quick once over with a baby wipe.


6) Banish children and husband to the shed

Now this stage is a winner and if achieved will save you the most time. If you better half and children can never enter beds will remain made, there will be no crushed biscuits, smeary windows or mirrors and sticky banisters. Socks will be in draws not under cushions, sofas or bed sheets.

7) NO pets

More poo, urine, grooming, hair, food the list goes on. A bad idea if you want a tidy home.

This list is by no means exhaustive and if you have your own methods please feel free to share your tips.

Here is my final thought on keeping a tidy home.

                         



18 comments:

  1. This is brilliant! Excuse me, I have a cat to rehome,

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a lighthearted and fun read for today. I thoroughly needed it too. :) After the weekend of dishes I have washed I am all for some throw away dishes!!! Or maybe some elves that will come in and clean while we are sleeping? Where is a Mother's Godfairy when you need her??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in real need of a fairy! Thanks for stopping by x

      Delete
  3. I'm signing up to your rules :) after doing 4 loads of washing so far today I'm done with it, we either buy new clothes or just wear dirty ones from now on.

    Love the poem by the way, so accurate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo I would love fresh new socks each day good idea. We are on the verge of becoming naturists here :)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Those rules sound perfectly good to me!! I feel like I'm forever picking things up or hoovering or sorting out books that magically all end up in a pile on the floor. I just think its amazing how fast a toddler can make a room messy!! Thats a skill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yep they sure can be mini whirlwinds. Thanks for dropping by 😃

      Delete
  5. Ha ha! I thought this was going to be a serious post - I was bracing myself for a list of things I should do each day! I totally agree with regard to the quick wipe down with the baby wipe, that really is all that is needed. Also yes to not washing clothes, I find a strong deodorant can add 2-3 days onto any outfit and that's just for the kids!!! #MadMidWeekBlogHop

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Love it. We hired a cleaner (I know, I know). It's affordable in Thailand. I will miss her desperately if/when we return to Europe. BTW: Maybe you know already but your linky badge isn't displaying properly. I think you added it to your regular text rather than the HMTL coding part of your blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have broken my own rules today and had my washing machine fixed ;) Thanks for visiting x

      Delete
  7. Yes! I completely get this! And agree about the mess ratio to kid ratio too!!! I'd probably add throw all your bills straight in the bin after you've paid them (don't worry about the tax office or record keeping or anything, she'll be right! lol). That way they won't sit in piles on countertops and tables to be filed! Enjoyed this one! @twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo that is a good one. I recently collected all of my piles into a huge bag. It looked great for a day or so but now I have piles plus bag still to sort haha.

      Delete
    2. Brilliant - I knew I shouldn't have rehomed those rabbits! I never iron anyway! Only if something needs it - I just let the creases fall out :) I know it'll be different when Zach is at school so I'll make the most of it now! Thanks so much for linking up with #TwinklyTuesday

      Delete
  8. Love this post, haha!! I'd be lying if I had never considered the paper plates and plastic cutlery thing! Oh the lack of dishes to constantly wash would be amazing! Thanks for linking up! #MMWBH

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it so would! Thanks for reading #MMWBH

      Delete

Hi, I love to read your comments, thank you if you are kind enough to add one. Ruth x

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground