Dresser Refurb

Wednesday 8 October 2014

I have been looking for a dresser for what seems like a life time. The ones I have seen and loved have always cost a small fortune, however recently I stumbled accross a post on facebook of all places advertising an Ercol Welsh Dresser at a fraction of the prices listed on ebay. I jumped at the chance to buy it and within 12 hours it was sitting in our kitchen. In my eagerness to get started I forgot to take a picture before I dabbled at sanding the dresser down but you can get the jist of how it originally looked. The gentleman we bought the dresser from told us it had belonged to his mother and had always been in her living room for as long as he can remember, with many a family party held around it. He wished us many happy years with it which I though was really sweet.


Having recently returned to work I am still adjusting to working 10 plus hour days again so I soon set my hubby onto the job.


We originally used an electrical hand sander but found we prefered the control and finish we achieved through good old fashioned elbow grease so opted to hand sand it.


We then drunk lots of wine and painted the dresser in a fab stone Farrow and Ball colour. After hours of scouring Pinterest for ideas I finally settled on the colour Purbeck Stone.



My favourite part was oiling the top of the dresser which we left sanded. I love how the grain really shows up.


Originally we toyed with the idea of selling it as we dont really have the space but I have fallen in love with it now so it wont be going anywehre.
Here is the nearly finished dresser. It needs another coat really.

Have you ever painted or changed a piece of furniture? I would love to see pictures or posts.











1 comment:

Hi, I love to read your comments, thank you if you are kind enough to add one. Ruth x

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground